FISCAL EFFICIENCY DEPARTMENT
The functions of the Fiscal Efficiency Department include:
- Advises all tiers of Government on Fiscal policies, economic plans and annual budgets
- Forecast and advise the Federation on any windfall or shortfall of revenues for planning purposes
- Annually collect, analyse and objectively criticize budgets of all governments and advise them accordingly.Make inputs into the Federal and States Budgets at the formative stages by obtaining their relevant budget parameters.
- Obtain the Federal and State approved budgets for analysis for consideration of the Commission.
- Monitor the implementation of the approved budgets and submitting reports to the relevant Committees of the Commission.
- Constantly review the fiscal operations of the 3 tiers of government and their effects on the economy of the country.
- Periodically organize outdoor revenue counseling, workshops/seminar/conferences on fiscal discipline and budgetary control of Federal, States and Local Governments.
- Advise on the utilization of the special funds.
- Analyse debt portfolios and debt servicing/management of the Federal and State Governments.
- Maintain sound working relationships with relevant agencies i.e. Budget Office of the Federation (BOF), Debt Management Office (DMO), etc.
- Ensure compliance with the existing revenue laws at Federal, State and Local Government levels.Ascertain the affordability of the National economy to any changes in the pay packages such that recurrent expenditure of any tier of government is kept within reasonable limits relative to the capital budget.
- Undertake periodic review of the remuneration package for political, public and judicial office holders to conform to economic realities in addition to carrying out wide consultations with stakeholders and taking consideration of universal best practices.
- Closely monitor the implementation of the remuneration package at all levels of government to ensure compliance.
- Advise and make clarifications on all issues arising from the implementation of the remuneration package.
- Prepare remuneration package implementation guidelines.
- Carry out research/workshops locally and internationally in collaboration with the PRS Department on various aspects relating to the remuneration of Political, Public and Judicial Office Holders, such as:
- Concepts of salaries and allowances;
- Compensation structures;
- Monetization of benefits;
- Other concepts and developments and
- International best practices.
17. Prepare Departmental annual report and submission of same to the Planning, Research and Statistics Department on or before end of first quarter of the following year.
18. Provide administrative, technical and professional support to the Fiscal Efficiency & Budget Committee (FE&BC) and Remuneration and Monetisation Committee (R&MC).
19. Carry out any other assignment as may be directed by the Chairman or the Commission.