The Department has the following as its functions:
- Provide a complete and continuous audit of the accounts and records of revenue and expenditure of the Commission.
- Ensure adequate verification of stores and assets.
- Ensure that all accounting records are properly and accurately kept.
- Produce audit inspection reports as well as monthly progress reports to the accounting officer.
- In conjunction with the State Offices Department embark on quarterly visit to Zonal/State Offices to check their books of Accounts.
- Prepare Departmental annual report and submission of same to the Planning, Research and Statistics Department on or before end of first quarter of the following year.
- Carry out any other assignment as may be directed by the Chairman or the Commission.