SOLID MINERALS DEPARTMENT
The department has the following functions:
- Monitor accruals into and disbursement of revenue from the Federation Account from the Solid Minerals Sector. This is conducted through regular monitoring of the relevant Agencies particularly, Federal Ministry of Mines and Steel Development (MMSD).
- Investigate, enquire and acquire data on practices in the Solid Minerals Sector including Coal, Iron ore, Gold, Barites, Cement related minerals (Lime stones). What mineral(s) that are being explored and exploited and by who and under what agreement (Foreign or Local) and the taxing system and how the Federation Account is benefiting.
- Collect and collate revenue data on all Solid Minerals in Nigeria identifying the States, Local Governments and Communities where the Solid Minerals deposit (including Bitumen) is located and determine if the minerals exist in such a commercial quantity as to guarantee that its further exploration and exploitation can generate (more) revenues to the Federation Account.
- Forecast on the Solid Minerals potentials in Nigeria, in terms of, foreign exchange earnings, improvement or contribution to GDP and employment opportunities.
- Represent the Commission at the following meetings:
- Technical Sub-Committee/Main Committee of the Presidential Revenue Monitoring and Reconciliation Committee meetings organized by the Budget Office of the Federation (BOF); and
- Inter-Ministerial Committee on Monitoring and Reconciliation of Solid Minerals revenues.
- Carry out analyses on revenue reports from the Commission’s Zonal/State Offices in respect of Solid Minerals.
- Carry out reconciliation of Solid Minerals revenues in liaison with relevant Stakeholders.
- Evaluate revenue trends in Non-Oil sector (Solid Minerals).
- Prepare Departmental annual report and submission of same to the Planning, Research and Statistics Department on or before end of first quarter of the following year.
- Provide administrative, technical and professional support to the Solid Minerals Monitoring Committee (SMMC) and Sub-Committee on Solid Minerals.
- To perform other duties/functions that may be assigned by the Chairman or the Commission.